openSUSE Education team is proud to present openSUSE-Edu Li-f-e (Linux for Education) based on openSUSE 11.3. The image is a “hybrid” iso image, single iso can be used to create live DVD or USB stick.
This release includes carefully selected softwares for students, educators as well as parents. The software selection encompasses everything required to make computers productive for either home or educational use.
The Live DVD contains KIWI-LTSP server that can be enabled even by non-technical user, with tons of applications from openSUSE Education repository. With the KIWI-LTSP server you can PXE(network) boot other PCs to use this live DVD without installing or modifying anything on them. Booting from hard disk again will leave those PCs as they were.(Please note that running LTSP from Live DVD/USB is meant for demo/testing purpose only, install on the hard disk to use it in production).
This distribution includes LAMP (LAMP stands for Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP) that is needed for developing or hosting PHP websites and all other major development tools. An award-winning Sugar desktop for children is also included in this media.
The aim of this DVD is to provide complete education and development resources for parents, students, teachers as well as IT admins running labs at educational institutes.
- openSIS – openSIS is a web-based, open source, student management product
- Moodle – Moodle is a course management system (CMS)
- OpenBiblio – OpenBiblio is an easy to use, automated library system written in PHP containing OPAC, circulation, cataloging, and staff administration functionality
- ATutor – ATutor is an Open Source Web-based Learning Content Management System (LCMS/LMS) designed with accessibility and adaptability in mind
- FreeSMS – Web application for managing an educational facility