openSUSE Education team is proud to present openSUSE-Edu Li-f-e (Linux for Education) based on openSUSE 11.4. The image is a “hybrid” iso image, the same image can be used to burn a Live DVD or to create a Live USB stick.
This release includes carefully selected software for students, educators as well as parents. The software selection encompasses everything required to make computers productive for either home or educational use without having to install anything additional.
The Live DVD contains KIWI-LTSP server that can be enabled even by non-technical user, it comes bundled with tons of useful applications from openSUSE Education, Build Service and Packman repositories. With the KIWI-LTSP server you can PXE(network) boot other PCs to use this live DVD without installing or modifying anything on them. Booting from hard disk again will leave those PCs as they were.(Please note that running LTSP from Live DVD/USB is meant for demo/testing purpose only, install on the hard disk to use it in production).
This distribution includes LAMP (LAMP stands for Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP) that is needed for developing or hosting PHP websites and all other major development tools.
The aim of this DVD is to provide complete education and development resources for parents, students, teachers as well as IT admins running labs at educational institutes.
- Brain Workshop (brainworkshop) – A Dual N-Back mental exercise
- Chemtool (chemtool) – A program for Drawing 2D Organic Molecules
- Childsplay (childsplay) – An educational software suite for young children from 0 years
- Dr. Geo (drgeo) – An interactive geometry software program
- Euler (euler) – An interactive mathematical programming environment
- GCompris (gcompris) – An educational software suite for young children
- gElemental (gelemental) – A periodic Table Viewer
- iGNUit (ignuit) – A general purpose flash card program
- iTalc (italc) – A powerful software for Linux-networks and for teachers using the computer as didactical tool in their lessons
- jMemorize (jMemorize) – A general purpose flash card program
- K3DSurf (k3dsurf) – A program to visualize and manipulate multidimensional surfaces
- Klavaro (klavaro) – Typing tutor for young children
- KLogic (klogic) – A digital circuit simulation
- KSEG (kseg) – A Simulator of Euclidean Geometry
- KSimus (ksimus) – A Simulation, Automation, and Visualization of Electrical Circuits
- KTechlab (ktechlab) – A development and simulation environment for microcontrollers
- Little Wizard (littlewizard) – Development Environment for Children based on Pascal
- Multiplication Puzzle (gmult) – A math game to solve a multiplication problem
- Multiplication Station (MultiplicationStation) – Add, subtract and multiply exercises
- Plutimikation (plutimikation) – A math learning game for children
- QCAD (qcad) – An Open-source 2D CAD System from 16 years
- Score Reading Trainer (score-reading-trainer) – A program to improve your musical score reading skills
- Stellarium (stellarium) – An astronomical Sky Simulator
- TkGate (tkgate) – An Event driven digital circuit simulator with a tcl/tk interface
- TuxMath (tuxmath) – An educational math tutor game
- TuxMathScrabble (TuxMathScrabble) – Add, subtract and multiply in a scrabble like game
- TuxPaint (tuxpaint) – A Drawing Program for Young Children from 0 years
- TuxType (tuxtype) – An educational typing tutor for children
- wxMaxima (wxMaxima) – A cross platform GUI for the computer algebra system maxima
- XaoS (xaos) – A powerful fractal generator
- XDrawChem (xdrawchem) – A 2D molecule drawing program
- XLogo (xlogo) – A Logo interpreter
- YACAS (yacas) – A computer algebra system and programming language
- Moodle – Moodle is a course management system (CMS)
- ATutor – ATutor is an Open Source Web-based Learning Content Management System (LCMS/LMS) designed with accessibility and adaptability in mind
- FreeSMS – Web application for managing an educational facility
Graphics and Publishing
- Inkscape – Vector Graphics program to replace CorelDraw
- Blender – 3D Animation and modeling software
- XaraLX – Vector Graphics program to replace CorelDraw
- Scribus – Desktop Publisher
- GIMP – Image manipulation program
This Live DVD includes KIWI-LTSP server. To Test the KIWI-LTSP Server follow the according Quick start guide. Up to 5 users can be logged in to the live LTSP server (You will need minimum 512MB RAM+200M per additional user). More users can be added after installing on hard disk.
To test iTalc with LTSP in live environment, double-click iTalc icon after booting clients. After installation iTalc needs to be enabled as per the instructions here.
Network booting(PXE) clients directly from the PC running this live DVD will give access to all of the applications on the DVD as well as all Desktop Environments.
User accounts and passwords
To test the Live KIWI-LTSP users can login from thinclient terminals as linux1-linux5, password is linux. For root there is no password.
To learn more about KIWI-LTSP click the link below:
To learn more about the included development tools click the links below:
- LAMP is an Open Source web development platform. Live DVD contains the latest stable versions of the following components: Apache, MySQL, and PHP (Compare also for installing that on the normal openSUSE distribution: SDB:Linux Apache MySQL PHP)
- Bluej (bluej) – An easy-to-use teaching environment for the Java language
- Bwbasic (bwbasic) – It is an ideal language for beginners
- Eclipse (eclipse) – An open source community, whose projects are focused on building an open development platform comprised of extensible frameworks, tools and runtimes for building, deploying and managing software across the lifecycle
- NetBeans (netbeans) – Rock solid software development product
- Monodevelop (Mono) – MonoDevelop is an Integrated Development Environment for C#, Boo, IronPython and Visual Basic developers that want to move their development environment to Linux
- Anjuta (Anjuta) – Anjuta is a versatile Integrated Development Environment (IDE) for C and C++ on GNU/Linux.
- Subversion is an Open Source version control system
- Git (Git) – Git is an Open Source version control system designed to handle very large projects with speed and efficiency
- CVS is an Open Source version control system on it’s way out
- OSC is the openSUSE Build Service command line tool
And a lot more
- Empathy messaging platform
- VYM mind map application
- Latest Wine to run windows applications on Linux
- Dosbox for dos applications
- Gwibber, a twitter and identi.ca client
- Gobby is a free collaborative editor supporting multiple documents in one session and a multi-user chat
- Abiword with collaboration feature for word processing
- Libreoffice.Org Edition with improved interoperability and many additional features not found in OpenOffice.